Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Let Them Eat Cake

Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake, to be specific.  Slathered with “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Frosting, of course.  What is so special about this cake?  It is not only the delectable aroma that wafts through my kitchen while it bakes, but the story behind it.   This recipe comes from Hershey’s Classic Recipes, a cookbook gift from my dear friend, Leah, when we both lived in Pennsylvania.  She lived in Hershey, the sweetest place on earth, and I lived a mere 25-minutes away from Chocolate World.  The cookbook reminds me of her friendship, her way of making everything fun, and the fact that she taught me, over the phone, how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, because this was my first foray into full-time domestic management, with a new infant on my hip and an endearingly clueless sound in my voice.  At least, I like to think it was endearing.

I will openly admit that my husband is a fantastic cook and the first time he made this cake, it was a mouth-watering hit.  So much so that it has become the most often-requested birthday dessert on the "Dad, will you please make this?" list.  It is delicious, not only because it has the perfect combination of sugar, flour, and vanilla that make it so; but, because of the labor of love this cake represents.  It is not something that can be done spur-of-the-moment, or with haste.  It takes patience, precision, and love--ingredients essential to the process, but not mentioned in the recipe.  



The infant on my hip turned 12 yesterday.  He’s taller than I am now--and his shoe size rivals the cake-maker.  We can hardly believe it.  And, the chocolate cake?  Yes, it was perfect. 

There’s a few slices left...bring your own fork. Oh, and you must sing, "Dad is great--he makes chocolate cake."

3 comments:

  1. I have a fork, too.... when should I plan to arrive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come anytime you please! Other than 3 am, of course...

      Delete