Monday, June 23, 2014

Tabulations--Take One

Wife. Mother. Home Educator. Friend. Lover of crooners, gardenias, and dark chocolate.  Quasi-jogger (thanks to St. Jude) and Zumba enthusiast (thanks to Lindsey and Kim). Amazed-by-grace Christ follower.  And, yes, a bibliophile.  A self-admitted “just let me finish this one last chapter” book junkie. 

‘“Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread,’ says François Mauriac, French author and Nobel Laureate. And, I couldn’t agree more. 

What do I re-read?  Jane Austen, Elisabeth Elliott, and Harper Lee.  I read through Jan Karon’s The Mitford Series on an annual basis--but not always in order.  The Language of Flowers (Vanessa Diffenbaugh) and Chocolát (Joanne Harris) are favorite fictional re-runs of mine.  Non-fiction titles by Lauren Winner (think Girl Meets God or Mudhouse Sabbath) re-capture my interest.  Most recently, Rod Dreher’s gem of a book, The Little Way of Ruthie Leming has found its way back to my nightstand--and my heart--for another read.  In fact, I don’t think it ever left.


So, let the analysis begin.  I enjoy a compelling story, with strong female characters, witty and seemingly impenetrable male counterparts--with a happy ending, of course.   Authors who make themselves transparent to their readers; thus, teaching the lessons they learned earn my devotion.  Characters who become real as they capture your heart, challenge your thinking, or simply make you giggle draw me in and keep me there.  I am an idealist, am moved by simple acts of human kindness, and laugh heartily at Uncle Billy’s jokes.  Mrs. Elliot challenges her readers to look beyond the surface, get up and do something--with quite a bit of life experience and street cred to do so.  Ms. Winner reminds me of the beauty of liturgy.  And, Ruthie’s “little way” makes a big difference.  It is those “simple gifts” that bring me back to these books, time and again.


That’s just a little about me.  Thanks for stopping by--you honor me with your visit.  The door is always open.  Consider yourself invited!




2 comments:

  1. Lovely!! Can't wait to read more! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete