Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Hold Still

I have never been very good at this.  Holding still.  Or keeping still.  Or landing long enough to enjoy the stillness.  As I “mature”, I actually find myself seeking stillness--or places to be still.  The mere thought of the ocean evokes a happy sigh; but, as I currently dwell in West Tennessee, the beach is not as easily accessible as it once was.  So, now, I retreat to the hammock.  The hammock--which is another blog post within itself.

The hammock forces me to be still--otherwise, I lose my balance.  Or risk falling out.  Which, of course, would be a grand source of entertainment to my family.  But, that would negate the whole “seeking stillness” quest.  So, I am learning to hold still.  Or to be content with where I am.


In “The Little Way of Ruthie Leming”, Dreher makes a provocative statement. 

“A theologian is not one who knows about God; but one who knows God.” 

And, then, the Psalmist drives the point home in chapter 46, verse 10.

“Be still and know that I am God.”

Thus, I have come to the conclusion that what is vital in my life-long pursuit to know God--fully--is to be still.  Hold still.  Be still.  Listen.  It’s a work in progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment