Lessons Learned from the Rock Castle Gorge Trail (or City Girl Giddiness--The Sequel)
1. Brooks not only babble--they also chatter, bellow, and chuckle.
2. Watch for butterflies and millipedes. And orange salamanders.
3. A one-mile incline is harder than 3 miles of flatland.
4. Hikers are nice people.
5. Walking the trail with a retired forest pathologist provides a better lesson in plant life than any 10th grade Biology textbook could ever offer.
6. Follow a good leader.
7. Shade trees are a hiker's best pal.
8. You really can run out of synonyms for "beautiful".
9. Walk softly--and carry a big stick. (See #3)
10. Even weeds produce lovely wildflowers.