Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Nana's Favorite Hymn

One of my favorite childhood memories was listening to my Nana sing hymns. This was the same Nana who made terrycloth summer rompers, played innumerable games of Uno with me, prepared a special celery-less version of her Broccoli Salad for my Philosopher (her non-verbal indication of her whole-hearted approval of my choice), and sewed my wedding dress. "The Old Rugged Cross" was near to her heart--and on her top ten list--for years.  In the precious few moments that she actually sat down, she would land at our ancient Spinet piano and play through select songs from The Methodist Hymnal.  Back then, I could have told you on what page "The Old Rugged Cross" was found; but, those numbers have since fallen into my mental dustbin.  

Her favorite became one of my own.  And, as we find ourselves in the midst of Holy Week, it seems only appropriate to share it with you.


The Old Rugged Cross


On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
And I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.

Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me someday to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.

~George Bennard (1913)


No comments:

Post a Comment