Thursday, March 10, 2016

It's Raining, It's Pouring and Other Precipitation-Promoting Ditties

"The last time there was a flood like this, Noah built himself an ark."  We haven't seen any animals gallop, stroll, or scamper past us, two-by-two; but, raindrops, a plethora (I adore that word!) of raindrops, keep falling on our heads here in the rhinestone-studded buckle of the Bible belt.  It's been raining here since about two o'clock Wednesday morning, give or take an hour.  It's a very pleasant sound.  One that likely inspired some songwriting.  As we listened to the rhythm of the falling rain, my Favorite Philosopher and I started swapping soggy song stylings, a musical Jeopardy.  Or Name That Tune.  Let's get the obvious ones out of the way, tout de suite.

The lip-sync (un)masterpiece, Blame It on the Rain.  Annie Lennox and Here Comes the Rain Again.  Gene Kelly tap dancing his way down the lane just Singin' In the Rain.  For the classic country folks, there is Eddie Rabbitt's I Love a Rainy Night.  

Falling into the classic crooners and groovy blues guitarist categories come Julie London's version of September in the Rain and Wes Montgomery's Here's That Rainy Day, respectively.  My ever-expanding knowledge and appreciation of such nifty tracks is a delightful educational process.  I know that you wouldn't generally apply croon-er to a female vocalist; but, croon-ette sounds like a disappointing offshoot of the Mickey Mouse Club.  Take a listen to Julie, you'll hear what I mean.  

For soundtrack lovers, there's the artist formerly known as Prince but who was known as Prince when the song came out:  Purple Rain.  And, side B of the 1977 Grease soundtrack features a fantastically dismal song entitled It's Raining on Prom Night.  Complete with a heart-breaking monologue by a jilted prom queen who lost her corsage and her sister's i.d. 

And I would be remiss in my "yes, I once had a wall poster of John Taylor hanging in my bedroom" fandom if I neglected to mention Hold Back the Rain.  Duran Duran.  Rio.  You can borrow my cassette tape.  Yup.  I'm so vintage. 

Then came the lyrics that involve rain.  Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.  How about Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling, down, down, down.  Sound of Music and The Breakfast Club, respectively.  Then, we ran aground.  I'm sure that you could come up with a few of your own.  No fair Googling.  Use your noggin.  Squee--and whee!

In case you were wondering, the prom queen's corsage and i.d. fell down the sewer.

Kleenex not included.




No comments:

Post a Comment