Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Hump-Day Hilarity: It's For the Birds...

My Ninja and I have been studying birds for the past few weeks.  Penguins, ostriches, hornbills, and the like.  We have chuckled over "dating and mating" rituals that involve a great deal of primping, strutting, and all-around showing off, on the part of the male.  While there are species that offer food as a invitation to mate (the Kingfisher) or offer up a delightful croon to woo their potential Mrs. (the Pigeon), it is the Bowerbird that brings much delightful hilarity to our Science lessons.

In order to attract a mate, the male Satin Bowerbird, builds a bower (a platform or stage) and decorates it with colorful and shiny objects--flowers, pebbles, and even bottle caps.  The male then calls to the female and the "hey-baby-wanna-be-my-girl?" dance begins.  




I'm glad I'm not a gull.  The male coughs up some food for his would-be bride to eat.  Literally.  I much prefer a candle-lit dinner for two, without "pre-owned" vittles.

No comments:

Post a Comment